Monday, November 1, 2021

Saints I Know

I came to the chapel this morning to write a review about a book I’m reading, an unexpectedly wonderful book, which was unexpectedly given me.  But something unexpected happened before I came here.

Today is November 1, All Saints Day.  I turned the page on my calendar of birthdays this morning and saw a name there for today.  I hadn’t sent her a card, so I hurriedly put one in the mail, and then sent a “Happy Birthday” text.  But on the way to this chapel, I thought of this woman who God had put in my path.  She’s the one who, for years now, prepares hot meals for up to 100 people every Wednesday night, driving to a park in a poor neighborhood, where they are lined up waiting for her.  She is never late, never misses a Wednesday.  She’s a retired executive, and on some other days she works at food pantries, doing the most menial of cleaning jobs.  And on the way to chapel I thought of these things, and how appropriate her birthday is on All Saints Day.  And then my thoughts went to others I know, each doing saintly things.  I am so blessed to know them.

I just started walking each Wednesday with the 86-year-old, who had called me to say she had moved back into her house --- again --- so she could walk her old neighborhood.  She had never called me before, but she got her hearing aid fixed.  I met her when she came to my Caregiver’s Support Group meeting 8 years ago, to discuss moving back to her home then, with her husband, whom the children had insisted be placed in an Assisted Living facility.  She also she had moved back to her home, with her husband, and cared for him very well for his remaining 4 years.  I will be 75 years old in a couple of months.  I recall how on my 70th birthday this woman had invited me out to dinner. It was a Wednesday night, and she took me to help serve a hot meal to some of those poor people in the park, with our other friend.

One of my longest friendships is with the woman who in recent years has been caring for a man who had fallen and badly injured his head.  I haven’t fallen that badly (yet!) but in many ways she’s cared for me for over 25 years.  I sometimes call her my daughter, and she sends me Father’s Day cards.  As our lives have changed, so has our relationship, and there were times of stress between these two intelligent people, who each sometimes thought they knew best.  But more and more we’ve come to realize: God knows best, and He has greatly blessed us.

Oh, I could continue and write a book about all the saints God has put into my life.  The important thing, and that I realize, is that they have helped shape who I am.  Like all ordained saints, these people are not perfect, but their bad points (which I don’t remember) are greatly exceeded by their good.  I remember all those many good points, and I always will.

Always.  They are saints I know.

The book I’ve been reading is called “Habits for Holiness”.  Every few pages it has Questions for Reflection, and the book is so powerful I often have to stop there.  The latest questions I read were: “Am I paying enough attention to the people I meet throughout the day?  Am I hearing their stories and allowing my heart to be moved by them?”

It gave me lots to think about, and pray about.  And my prayer right now, at this moment, is thanks to God that He put all these saints into my life.  He is so good to me.  I believe He is good to everyone, giving us opportunities to grow in holiness, and be the children He created us to be --- while also telling us in so many ways that He loves us.

And now before departing this chapel, I opened my prayer book and read the Mid-Day Prayer: “Become holy yourselves in every aspect of your conduct, after the likeness of the holy One, who called you, remember, Scripture says: “Be holy, for I am holy.”  (1Pt 1:15-16)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment