Friday, November 5, 2021

Thanksgiving for Friends

 

I recently wrote that I know many saints alive today, people who act in saintly ways, with saintly resolve.  I call many of them friends, and am privileged to have a few who call me friend.  I read recently again of the four kinds of love (C.S. Lewis’ book, outstanding!).  Some say one of the four, agape, is a love only perfect in God, and that the highest man can attain is philia, a love exchanged with that special friend that, for some, only comes once in a lifetime. 

In my readings this night, I read words which spoke of love, and as my thoughts are turning to Thanksgiving Day, the words from The Better Part (Meditation 207) meshed and struck me deeply:

            There is nothing in this world that can satisfy us as much as the love of Christ.

            The Pharisees … were self-centered.  Jesus, on the other hand, was completely self-      forgetful.

He patiently waits in every Tabernacle across the globe, glad to be able to adore the Father in our name, and willing to put up with hours and hours of loneliness in order to still be there when one of his followers needs to talk.

If we let Christ be the friend He wants to be, maybe we will learn to be that kind of friend for others.

Help me to want what You want, Lord.  Help me to do what You want.  I don’t care what other people say about me --- only You have the words of eternal life.

You are more interested in how I treat my colleague down the hall than in the biggest headlines of the biggest newspaper in the world.  You are more interested in my heart than in wars and disasters.  Everything here is passing away, but every human soul will live forever, either in a light or darkness.  Lord, make me a lantern and a flame to spread Your light.

I give You thanks, Lord, for the friends you have put into my life.

- - - - - - - - -

A bunch of young women just entered the adoration chapel where I am meditating, likely from some class which was held in the church tonight.  I took no notice of them, or that a guitarist had also entered, until she began playing and softly singing:

“Open the eyes of my heart, Lord … I want to see You.”

 

Hmmm.  In these thoughts about friends did I mention that You, Lord, are my best friend?  And I give You thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment