Saturday, April 2, 2022

Starting a New Life

 

At our Bible Study this morning, it was noted that there were two Gospels which could be used for this Fifth Sunday of Lent:  The adulteress who they brought before Jesus to stone to death, and Lazarus who Jesus raised from the dead.  There is a theme between both of them which we discussed, but I had a particular focus.

In The Better Part, in a reflection on John 11:17-44, there are words which Lazarus might have said after being raised:

Lazarus:  How differently I lived from that day on!  It was like a log had been lifted and I could see everything clearly.  I wasn’t anxious for praise and acceptance and recognition anymore, because I finally realized how fleeting such things were.  I thought less about myself and my problems, because I knew so clearly that God was holding me in the palm of His hand.  I was so free!  I was free to bring joy and comfort to those around me, to be a delight for my sisters and friends.  I was free from the fears that made me hesitate to speak to anyone about Jesus.  When He called my name and drew me out of the tomb, it really was a brand new start, a brand new life.  And He’s willing to do the same for everyone, if only they will trust in Him and take the first step toward the opening of the tomb.

Wow!  Over and over again in the past, I’ve reflected on how much our society stresses our self-importance, and how much we deserve.  And so, we become focused on pride and envy and how much “it’s only fair that I get what I want.”  It’s all a focus on “self” and getting things for myself.  But when Lazarus was raised from the dead it felt like a log had been lifted.  He didn’t have to worry about himself and “getting all he deserved” --- when he died, none of those earthly things mattered; they didn’t go with him in death.  And so, arising from the dead, I wasn’t anxious for praise and acceptance and recognition anymore … I thought less about myself … because I knew so clearly that God was holding me in the palm of His hand.  I was free to bring joy and comfort to those around me.”  Lazarus knew he could trust in Jesus, and could focus on being a delight for my sisters and friends, to love his neighbor.  Perhaps it’s natural to want things for ourselves; and maybe that’s why it had to be a commandment to love your neighbor, but Lazarus now found that he could joyously make that the priority of his life; he didn’t need to be commanded to do it.  He didn’t need to worry himself, what he wanted or needed.  Trust in God, He will give you all you need.  Love God and neighbor, and let God be the one to love you, not yourself.  It starts with humility and letting go of “self”.  Then trust.  Jesus opened his eyes, and Lazarus had a brand new life.  And He’s willing to do the same for everyone, if only they will trust in Him.

It's a great Bible lesson to reflect upon, and we don’t have to die to do it.

My Jesus, I trust in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment