Wednesday, April 27, 2022

When to Let Go and Let God

 

I know I’ve reflected before on my issue with The Parable of the Talents.  Aware that I have been blessed in many ways, I often wondered whether I were using sufficiently or in the right way all those talents.  I now think, however, that perhaps my thinking was part of my problem.

As I’ve grown closer to God my later years, I’ve seen that He often acts in ways which I could never have predicted, and certainly not prayed for.  He did things, or put in front of me opportunities for me to do things, that on my own I would have never done.  I could have never foreseen the ultimate good results, so I would have never attempted those things.  Were my talents wasted because I didn’t use them for something of a good result, one I could not have foreseen?  That doesn’t make sense, for surely, I shouldn’t have spent my time after something I didn’t see as a good thing.  Well then, how could I know if I’ve wasted my talents?  That’s the point.  I can’t know what could have been, only God does.

Now, I can look at what I am doing and see if it is likely a waste of my time and talent, in God’s eyes, like doing nothing all day, or pursuing endless self-entertainment.  Even I could see that as a waste of my time and talents in God’s eyes.  But what if I AM trying to do my best?  And that is the question I’ve learned to stop worrying about.  My best is what seems the best in God’s eyes, as I know Him.  It’s my answer to WWJD, and I try to do it.  But I’ve learned one crucial thing --- or God has shown me one crucial thing --- WWJD can’t just be letters on a bracelet; they must accompany serious prayer, discussion with God on what He would like me to do.  AND, being open to His answer, AND-AND, being open to His answers to questions I’ve never even asked.  I’ve called these God Opportunities, and every night I reflect on them before I go to sleep. In God’s mind (as best as I can I can imagine it), what opportunities did He put in front of me this past day, and how do I think He would rate my performance.

I see God Opportunities in two ways: 1) Formal activities I could have (or did) participate in, like mass or adoration or Church events I could have participated in.  And, there are 2) Informal opportunities that arose during the day, things I could have done to Love My Neighbor.  Sometimes those are events I sought out, like Bible Study Groups, or even events I brought about.  I can rate how well I think I used my talents in those opportunities.  But there is a third way to use my talent, a way so subtle I didn’t even count it as an opportunity I could rate myself on.  I may not even have seen it, especially if I wasn’t praying to be aware of it.  Those are the opportunities to help one person, one special person in God’s eyes, who He knows needs me and my talents.  That person may not be at mass or in a Bible Study I choose to participate in.  He may be the sad-faced guy I am passing in the mall, or the child with a lemonade stand, alone, in front of his house.  He is someone who is alone, and doesn’t think anyone cares, so God puts him in my path: “Will you be there for him?”

 I think these opportunities happen far more often than we can imagine.  It’s like a world we didn’t live in, but God does.  And He gave us the talents to join it, and make a difference. All we have to do is let go of our worries, our plans, and let God.  These are not opportunities we can pursue, but we can let happen.  Sometimes they are ways we can subtly show God’s love.  Sometimes, they are ways we can see how He subtly gives His love to us. A word, a wink, a smile; they can all be acts of God’s love.  How many opportunities did He give you to act this way today?  And how many times did you ignore or make light of God’s love when it was shown to you?

He died to show us His love.  We just don’t seem to notice the small hugs He still gives us.  Or thank Him when we do.

- - - - - - - - - -

On the way to mass this morning, I was stopped at a light behind a car with a number of pro-life stickers on the back.  And then, a dove landed on the car’s roof, above those stickers.  And the dove stayed there until the light changed and the car began to move.  I’ve never seen that happen before, and I prayed for God’s blessing on the car --- which turned into the church parking lot for morning mass, as I did.

Later this morning, a woman called for help with her utility bills, and I went out and got her some money orders from the bank.  She was waiting outside her apartment, and as I gave her the envelope she said thanks, and then said: “You won’t believe what happened to me and (her son): “Two morning doves landed on the porch outside our door wall, and just stayed there for a long time, looking at us.  Even when we moved about, they stayed.  I’ve never seen anything like that before.”  I said the Holy Spirit is watching over you; give thanks.  She agreed.

Letting go, and letting God.  He’s there in so many ways, looking at us, loving us.

No comments:

Post a Comment