Thursday, April 14, 2022

What Does God Want?

There is no morning mass on today, Holy Thursday.  I said my usual bedside morning rosary, then set my alarm for another couple of yours sleep.  I planned to go to the chapel to pray my morning prayers there, in front of Jesus, before returning later to the liturgical celebration of His Passion, the celebration of the tragedy that changed the world.  In recent years, I then spend the whole of this whole Holy Thursday night in a chapel, being with Jesus during the time when we reflect on Jesus being scourged, mocked, and alone.  I tried to be there with Him.  This year I admit to the failings of this body, and so I don’t plan to be in the church overnight, not wanting to fall asleep or otherwise have to leave, after I had promised to be there.  So, I will try to spend this night in prayer, at home, alone, as He was.  And talk to Him.

But the day didn’t start as I planned.  I awoke after an hour, wide awake.  So, I headed to the chapel to say my morning prayers there.  I usually pray along the way, but today I left the radio on, when as I started the car, I heard a radio talk show host tell listeners about a new Mel Gibson movie.  Gibson produced the Passion of Christ movie. I think the new movie’s title is Fr. Stu; I’ll check later.  The movie is a about Fr. Stu’s life, from boxer to priest, something he never planned. The talk show host said the point of the movie is that: our purpose in life is to find what God is calling us to do. She said the movie makes you see how a man chooses a purpose for his life, and everyone around him applauds his choice.  He is a success.  Then tragic things seemingly beyond his control force a change in life, and he comes to see how great a blessing this tragedy is and was God’s plan for him --- and how many poor and lonely people benefitted.  She said that the movie ends with a person coming to visit Fr. Stu in a nursing home where he lay dying, and the person is told to go to the end of the line, which extends around the building, of people wanting to go to one last confession with him.

What is God calling you to do?  We all have a purpose, a meaning for our life, even if it is a small thing, but it is why we were born.  God gave us life, now, at this time, for a reason, for a purpose.  Even with all that is going on in the world, even with all our suffering, even if we are all alone, we each were created by God, now, a unique person, with a unique purpose.

Lord, what do You wish me to do?  Speak, Lord, Your servant is listening.  In Mel Gibson’s movie The Passion, you see Jesus’ purpose played out --- He knew why He was born.  His apostles come to see that, and their purpose also.  And the world began to change, as they lived out their purpose.  I look forward to seeing Godson’s new movie, and how it shows one example of how much we can do with our lives, if we find and follow God’s plan.

It seems to me, that Mel Gibson has found God’s plan for his life; it might make a good movie.  I’ve heard so many stories of conversions and life-changing events as a result of people watching The Passion, including the star’s reluctance to take the role of Jesus, and how his life changed ever after.

I woke up early and listened to a radio show, not in my plan for the day, but perhaps part of His plan for me.  Speak, Lord, Your servant is listening.  Have you asked Him for His plan for you?

As I was about to finish this, I had one final thought:  My neighbor returned my DVD of the first season of The Chosen series.  He and his wife were thrilled by the stories, and I gave him a copy of the second season.  The point of mentioning this is that series’ name:  The Chosen.  The series tells some wonderful times in Jesus’ life, but the real focus of the series is the ones He chose.  They are important. 

He chose you, also.

- - - - - - - - - -


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful reflection. I haven't read through the posts you added, but I look forward to it. I hope you have seen Father Stu, it is such a beautiful movie that portrays God's love without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I saw it and feel as you do. There is another Catholic movie out, but it's supposed to be in the theaters for only this Monday and Tuesday (I think). I'm not sure I'll be able to get to that one.

    ReplyDelete