Saturday, July 3, 2010

July 4th -- Little Things

There are so many big things people are celebrating this weekend, and not a few are lamenting big things also. But yesterday and today I noticed the small things. And for these I give thanks this weekend.

The police car in front of me was the only one on the 5-lane road in the early morning. It began to slow and stop --- in the middle of nowhere. I looked around: no fires, no suspicious activities, in fact, no people. What was he doing? Should I pass in the right lane? Will I get a tic …. The mother duck emerged from in front of the patrol car, followed by a line of her ducklings, crossing the road at a very deliberate pace. The police officers correctly recognized who should have the right of way, despite there being no stop or yield signs present. They knew they should always stop and yield to the most vulnerable of us. I’m thankful for my caring local law enforcement officers.

As I turned North, I saw the beautiful sunrise in the East. Reds, yellows, oranges and purples, lined with rays of sunlight, all on a beautiful blue pastel background. I’m thankful for the simple things of creation, so simple yet not even the greatest artist ever could arrange colors in the magnificence that now I beheld with my eyes. I’m thankful to God for the beauty of his creation, especially at those times when I am so distracted and concerned about much more trivial things.

I thank Him for the opportunity to receive Him in communion, and adore Him in the early morning quiet.

A good friend recently died; another is in tears over her mother’s operation -- so critical it can’t wait for the end of this holiday weekend; and someone I barely know is sitting home alone, depressed. With my mom’s caregiver gone for this long weekend, I’m sleeping on her couch for a few nights. Mom went out into the yard yesterday for the first time this summer; she enjoyed the flowers I planted. She laughed at the birds fighting at the backyard feeder, and she rocked gently in the swing. Oh, in an hour or so she saw a faint movement in the leaves and said: “Look, it’s getting windy. I’m getting cold; let’s go back inside.” And so we did. Things are difficult for many friends; things could be better for mom and me; but despite her health issues, she is reasonably happy, and so am I.

There are so many little things to be thankful for. We don’t have to look for or focus on the big things this holiday weekend. They’ll still be there come Tuesday.

Happy 4th of July weekend, my friends; may God bless America.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I love the story about the ducks! You are blessed to see the brilliant sunrise and to be able to spend time caring for your mother.

    Thank you so much for sharing these uplifting words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I had one more uplifting thing happen to me this weekend --- just now. Mom's caregiver is still not back yet, but yesterday a neighbor called to tell me power had gone out on our street during the night. Today the unemployed man I have working for me called this afternoon to say he was not doing much today -- with the 90+ temperatures and my power out, it was just too hot. But just now, as I had the phone book in my lap looking at hotels to call, my neighbor called me: The power just came back on! Yea!
    Thank God for the little things.

    ReplyDelete